Australians are known for their love of travel and after two years of lockdowns and travel restrictions we aren’t wasting any opportunity to spread our wings and travel again. It’s fair to say that over this last crazy period we’ve changed, as a population we’ve changed the way we live and work and one of the things we’ve seen is an increase in climate awareness and a greater emphasis on sustainable practices and products.
We are committed to sustainable tourism practises and are always on the lookout for things we can do (or not do) to minimise our footprint here at Alpine Valley Getaways and recently we’ve been rolling out a few more processes to try and do our bit and make it easier for our guests to do their bit, even while they’re on holidays.
Here’s what we have in place so far:
- We are very excited to be supporting the local initiative, Alpine Unwrapped, a project promoting the uptake of reusable cups and containers for takeaway food, drink and produce in our community. The aim is to generate a culture within the community that expects, encourages and supports single use alternatives for locals and visitors alike, so get onboard. We have keep cups for guests to use during their stay with us, and they’ll also be available for purchase, so keep an eye out. If you have your own at home, please feel free to bring them on your holiday as there are loads of local businesses welcoming reusable options.
- Minimising landfill by finding a pathway to dispose of green wastes has been an ongoing challenge and we’re happy to say that we are rolling out a process for guests to dispose their green waste. This includes our green waste bins hidden under the sink, where you can put all your green kitchen waste which we’ll be collecting and throwing it into our composting system.
- We’ve long been using our refillable eco-friendly cleaning products by Envirocare, not only looking after our guests, environment and also our cleaners and now we’ve got our hands on a great new product….
- Plastic Free Hair & Body Care, by Eight Acres Natural Living. This is very exciting as this allows us to do away with our single use body care products and still provide guests with their own personal supply.
- Each of our properties also have Boomerang Bags for guests to use and pass on during their stay to assist in minimising the use of plastic bags. If you haven’t heard of Boomerang Bags this is an amazing global grassroots movement which as has produced over 522,000 bags by diverting waste from landfill.
There’s nothing more enjoyable than a weekend getaway to a cosy retreat in Bright and the surrounding Alpine Valley, and with growing concerns about the planet, many of our guests are looking for more sustainable travel options so we’ve put together some tips so your mountain holiday can be combined with sustainability. For accommodation in Bright, Victoria’s Alpine Valley Getaways can help with a wide range of options from luxurious, cosy cottages to spacious, family-friendly holiday homes. If you are wondering just how to make your mountain escape a little eco-friendlier see our tips below:
Eat Local Produce
The Alpine Valley is synonymous with sumptuous wining and dining, and you will find some of Australia’s best locally grown produce readily available throughout the area. With farms dotted all across the region it’s easy to find fresh, seasonal produce at local farmers markets and farm gates so that you can cook up a storm for your family. Bright restaurants are proud to serve local fare with the Bright Brewery supporting sustainable initiatives, brewing their award-winning ales on site. Eating locally grown produce is great for the environment as it reduces transportation and the pollution associated with it and it supports local farms to continue producing the best produce.
Get Up Close with Nature
Take a guided tour of the mountains and surrounding national parks. Learning about and understanding the precious local environment and ecosystems of the Victorian Alpine region is a rewarding experience and an important element of any sustainable holiday. There’s an abundance of local wildlife to discover, and it can be a once-in-a-lifetime experience to see many of these interesting creatures in their natural habitats.
Visit All Year Round
Bright and the surrounding mountain resorts of Falls Creek and Mount Hotham are committed to sustainable all-season tourism thanks to the diverse range of attractions on offer. From winter sports such as skiing and snowboarding to mountain bike riding, hiking, and birdwatching in the spring, and for the hot summer months you will also find a wide array of water sports activities situated on the Ovens River. The town of Bright is easy to navigate via bicycle and there are a number of shuttle services to get you to the mountains and back when you need.
Partake in Sustainable Activities
The Alpine Valley region offers numerous sustainable activities that provide minimal environmental impact in any season. Tobogganing and cross-country skiing are just two of the most environmentally friendly activities that don’t rely on any form of mechanisation. There’s an abundance of walking trails around the area which allow you to take in the stunning natural scenery and wildlife on foot, or why not take to the river in a canoe or kayak? For the epicureans, a food and wine tour by bicycle along the famous Rail Trail is a greener option that will allow you to taste your way through the area without the environmental impact of driving your car. There’s so much to do in the area and you really will be spoilt for choice for eco-friendly options!
We can all play a part in preserving the world around us by making better choices. When booking your next Bright escape, stop and consider whether it truly is a sustainable option. There are a few simple changes you can make to ensure your holiday is a little better for the planet.
For eco-friendly Bright accommodation – luxury, family-friendly, or pet-friendly – get in touch with the team at Alpine Valley Getaways today. We can assist by helping you find appropriate accommodation and can guide you on sustainable local attractions, Bright restaurants, and other eco-friendly activities. Book online now or call 03 5759 2555 / 0408 874 437 today.