Winter is the perfect time for a family getaway to the beautiful town of Bright; with an abundance of family-friendly activities and easy access to the spectacular ski villages of Falls Creek and Mt Hotham, it’s guaranteed to be a fun and memorable escape that everyone will enjoy.
The Alpine Valley region is also the perfect place to visit for those who want to bring their four-legged friends along for the fun. Alpine Valley Getaways offers a wide range of pet-friendly accommodation and cottages in Bright, Victoria. If you are planning a holiday with your canine companions, here’s a few handy tips to help you and your family enjoy a safe, happy, and relaxing winter getaway with your pets along to join in the fun.
Ensure Your Destination and Activities Will Be Pet Friendly
Many holiday destinations have a lack of dog friendly accommodation, Bright is not one of them!However, it is still important to do your research to ensure you find the best pet-friendly option that will suit your whole family. There are many options in and around Bright which cater well for pets and include secure fencing, bedding and even toys to make your pets feel at home. It’s good to know that if you do choose to leave your pet at home alone they need to be kept outside in the enclosed yard.
It’s also important to check for any pet restrictions at parks and popular attractions that you plan to visit. In busy tourist times, some parks require dogs to be on leads at all times and at some rivers dogs are prohibited from swimming. You can find this information on the local Alpine council website. Dogs can be walked off-lead outside of town centres, details of which is also outlined in the Council’s website. We highly recommend you research the local area and note any regulations that may impact your planned itinerary.
For the best pet friendly accommodation, Bright holidaymakers should get in touch with our friendly team today.
Travelling Safely with Your Pet
The journey to Bright takes approximately 3.5 hours from Melbourne, and when travelling in winter, roads can be slippery or icy as you approach the Alpine area. It’s vital that pets are restrained appropriately when driving. Smaller breeds should travel in a specially designed carrier or cage, with good ventilation, room to move and a secure door. Larger dogs can be restrained and protected with a safety harness that attaches to a seat belt. Not only does a proper restraint keep your pets safe and prevent injuries form sudden braking, but it also optimises the safety of the driver and passengers.
Other Tips to Ensure a Hassle-Free Holiday with Your Furry Friends
- Don’t feed your pet just before they travel.
- Stop regularly to allow your pet to get some fresh air and stretch their legs.
- Never leave your pet unattended in a car.
- Always take a water container to quench your pet’s thirst – even in cold conditions your pet requires adequate water to prevent dehydration.
- Dogs can suffer from frostbite and hypothermia, which can occur if your pet is exposed to cold temperatures for too long. In freezing conditions, keep them indoors ensure they wear a winter coat when outdoors.
Preparation and Packing Before You Go
Preparation is the key to ensuring the success of any holiday, especially when pets are involved.
There’s a few essential things to consider before you set off.
- When travelling to cold and icy locations, ensure you pack a winter coat for your pooch and warm blankets and bedding to ensure they are comfortable and calm in the colder conditions. Pets are not allowed on furniture so remember to bring their snuggle beds from home.
- Tags and microchips will help identify your pet in case they get lost, so ensure your registered contact details are correct so you can easily be contacted if your pet goes missing.
- Make sure your pet is up to date on all vaccinations, worming and parasite control.
- Pack disposal bags for droppings so that you don’t leave a mess and many of the walking track do have some along the way, in case of such an emergency.
Pet and family friendly accommodation in Harrietville, Bright, Mt Beauty & Beyond
Don’t leave your beloved dog behind when you travel! With a little preparation and the perfect pet-friendly accommodation, Bright Vic is the ultimate destination for a winter holiday that suits the whole family, fur babies included. Check out our listings today and discover the ideal place for you and your puppy pals to relax, connect and make lifelong memories. Book accommodation in Bright, Victoria online now or contact us today to find out more.