The 1850's gold rush saw many Chinese nationals converge on Beechworth seeking their fortune. As the population grew so too did the need for specialised services to cater for their cultural needs. A section of the Beechworth Cemetery was allocated for burial with the burning towers built in 1857. Mourners used the towers to burn offerings of paper prayers, pork and gifts for the afterlife.
Located in the original Beechworth Cemetery, the towers are located inside the main gates at the northern section of the cemetery.
Please be respectful and mindful not to enter while a funeral is in progress.